It's no surprise that I can look back on the small trail of sites I've made and trace a pattern of increasing sophistication. Nonetheless, I regard website design and implementation as something fun to do "on the side".
Below are some of the notable sites I've worked on.
The Primary Access Node (PAN) was my first website. It was first developed in the early 2000s and has evolved ever since.
The current design uses a PHP program to marshal the resources needed for an XSL transformation to generate the markup. A simple database cache allows markup to be reused between updates. The side navigation menu and occasional image gallery are implemented with jQuery.
Project Rho is the website of the esteemable Winchell Chung (a.k.a. Nyrath the nearly wise.) Since early 2010, as a volunteer, I have been improving the layout, appearance, and maintainability of the Atomic Rockets section; this was joined by similar work to the sibling 3-D Starmaps section in mid-2012.
Both sections were improved by applying an adapted version of PAN's website template program. As the first exposure to requirements beyond my limited view, Atomic Rockets was, and is, a significant influence on the evolution of the program.
As a coop student, I had the privilege of working at Aviya Technologies during the summer of 2010. As a secondary endeavour I took a leading role in redesigning the company's main and careers websites. The was done between May and August 2010. Both sites used a near-identical backend based on Primary Access Node version 6.
Unlike PAN version 5, version 6 drew on XML data files and used XSL transformations for markup generation. Unlike the PAN's version 6, Aviya's variant could pick one or many XSL transformations, depending on the type of page being generated. For example, one transformation created a page with a tabbed pane layout, but another was used to create the index page with the Flash navigation wheels.
Before the upgrade, the main and careers sites did not use a code generation backend, and both were designed differently. The careers site was one large Flash application, unlike the more conventionally designed main site. One challenge when “porting" the careers site was including the functionality to change the background Flash movie played on the index page, based on which other page on the careers site the visitor was coming from.
Web development seems to be a natural adjunct to conventional desktop application, especially as environments like Microsoft's ASP.NET and Oracle's Java EE blur the line between what can be deployed over the Internet using predominantly desktop development skills.
Web applications are closer to my usual haunts of desktop development.
Foghorn is a web-based project management system completed in May 2010. It was developed over a year by a team of four students, including myself, to fulfil a degree program requirement. The client for the project was NRT Technology Corporation. Foghorn's design carried out in UML, with the final implementation being done using Microsoft ASP.NET with C# code behind, and SQL Server.
Notable features include AJAX-enhanced web interface, customizable user access control and management, and extensive change logging.
In September 2009, I joined a team of students assembled by David Humphrey to give Al MacDonald a hand in completing the port, who in turn had inherited the project from John Resiq. In the following eight months, the project incorporated the infrastructure needed to accommodate multiple contributors. These included online code repository, online issue tracker, and testing an automated testing framework. By May 2010, the port was 80%+ complete.
Since then my own contributions have slowed to a trickle. My poor defence is that I am already stretched thin by other endeavours which need my attention, whereas Pjs is in good hands already.